Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The Break Up Bench

So there's this bench. Right next to the only school library entrance and exit. I call it the break up bench. Why would this nonchalant, concrete, rectangular prism be labeled as such? 



It was an early afternoon on a Wednesday or Thursday. So school was bustling. My friend knew something was up with her then boyfriend. Out of the blue, in route to walking her to her car across campus, he asked her to sit down on this very bench. I presume that his severe lapse in judgement for time and place was due to an overwhelming emotional state. (Benefit of the doubt...)

At any rate, he began to tell my dear friend she was too good for him. He couldn't be the guy she deserved. He began to cry (No, not a type-o there-*HE*). Right there, in front of all the people around them. The macho 6'3" fellow lost it.  My friend was caught off guard and still had a sense about her before the reality of the situation set in; she stood up and commenced walking to her car, grabbing him to come along and escape the lime light. 

I walked up to the car where I found them both crying. Imagine that for a second. Yeah. The timing I have is absolutely impeccable. The worst of it is I didn't realize and said "Hi hello how are ya," like things were normal. When I was greeted with silence I looked up and immediately escaped the situation. 

Anyway, what I'm getting at with this story is God works in mysterious ways. He and her weren't meant to be, his heart wasn't ready or able to understand.  When you can love like Jesus does, people with pain and shame that don't know how Jesus works just simply do not feel worthy of time or affection because they hold you up above others. They respect you because you respect you, and they can tell your accepting heart is just a bit different, but we have to try to explain why without bible jargon sometimes.  

This boy was not saved, he didn't understand the love of God all too well. My friend tried to show him--he wasn't budging so she sort of gave up talking about it at all. BAD. He and I actually had some discussions and disagreements about atheism and belief and faith. I pray we planted some seeds for his own heart because our conversations never really went anywhere.  He had quite a wall up and instead of addressing what he felt shame for, he wanted to keep everything all to himself. 

No one should feel they aren't worthy of another's time.  I know what it feels like to be left out, and I made it a point in my childhood and now adulthood to prevent people around me from feeling left out. God doesn't leave anyone out, we all fall short, but he loves us all anyway no matter what we do.  It is such a freeing feeling to be able to confess our wrongs to someone greater than we are...and He always will love us anyway. No matter what we do.  Just acknowledging our imperfections is humbling and a relief.  If we hold the shame in our hearts, it affects our relationships with others as well as spreads hate because you're carrying that baggage around with you...all alone. 

The feelings of approval we crave I think comes from the Lord.  We all seek, want, and have desire for respect, encouragement, comfort, security, support, acceptance, approval, appreciation, attention, and affection.  It is only satisfied completely with a love accepted from Jesus.  Partners can try, but when they disappoint us it hurts worse than anything.  Thus the importance of a God-centered relationship-and all that means is both partners work on their own relationships with Jesus as well as their relationship together.

SideNote: Love Like Jesus Does by Eric Church is so well written in the sense that it shows what it means to know how Jesus loves. 

It's how we are to love each other too. 

End Rant. Love and mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, questions, concerns?